- AFRICA: Tanzanian President Samia Suluhu Hassan confirmed the death of Elias Kwandikwa, the country’s Minister of Defense and National Service, who died on Monday Night in Dar es Salaam.
- AMERICAS: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a new eviction moratorium lasting to October 3.
- ASIA: Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong urged the U.S. and China to reduce tensions.
- EUROPE: Turkey released an arrest warrant for fifty-one people over alleged links to a network accused of orchestrating a coup attempt in 2016.
- MIDDLE EAST: Saudi foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan al Saud said he sees an emboldened Iran acting in a negative manner across the Middle East.
- TECH & COMMUNICATIONS: A new report issued by the New York Attorney General’s office detailed the role CNN anchor Chris Cuomo played in advising his brother, Governor Andrew Cuomo.
- Global: U.K maritime authority warns of a ‘Potential hijack’ of a ship off UAE coast
- The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) reported a “potential hijack” on a vessel off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, five days after an attack on a tanker left two dead.
- Two ships off the coast of the UAE broadcasted warnings that they had lost control of their steering under unclear circumstances as authorities reported “an incident” was underway in the area.
- Iran’s Revolutionary Guards denied that its forces engaged in any action of a ship off the UAE coast stating that the incident was a pretext for “hostile action” against Tehran.
- The seizure of a ship off the UAE coast comes at a time of rising regional tensions following a fatal drone attack on another vessel that the U.S. and its allies have blamed on the Islamic Republic.
- AFP, AP, Reuters, WSJ
- Libya: The Ministry of Social Affairs and UNICEF have signed a working plan on the protection of children in the country. (Xinhua)
- Nigeria: Kidnappers are demanding a ransom of one million naira ($2,400) each to release around 80 children snatched from a boarding school in Kaduna state. (Reuters)
- Tanzania: President Samia Suluhu Hassan confirmed the death of Elias Kwandikwa, the country’s Minister of Defense and National Service, who died on Monday Night in Dar es Salaam. (Xinhua)
- Tunisia: The country’s powerful labour union urged the president on Tuesday to rapidly announce a new government that should be small and led by an experienced premier. (Reuters)
- Ethiopia: Two international aid groups said that the government suspended most or all of their operations. (AP)
- Argentina: The country began to vaccinate high-risk adolescents between the ages of 12 to 17 with the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. (Xinhua)
- Brazil: The lower house of Congress passed a land bill that is backed by the country’s powerful farm sector but that environmentalists say will contribute to deforestation in the Amazon rainforest. (Reuters)
- Guatemala: Rafael Curruchiche was named special prosecutor for anti-corruption, two weeks after his predecessor was fired and fled the country. (AP)
- United States: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a new eviction moratorium lasting to October 3. (AP)
- Japan: Belarusian Olympic sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya, although granted a humanitarian visa by Poland, unexpectedly left Tokyo for Vienna after diplomats changed her flight due to security concerns. (Reuters)
- North Korea: State officials attended a photo exhibition held by the Russian Embassy in Pyongyang, signaling a resumption of in-person diplomacy suspended due to the coronavirus. (Yonhap)
- Singapore: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong urged the U.S. and China to reduce tensions. (Miami Herald)
- Kyrgyzstan: Former prime minister Temir Sariyev was arrested on corruption charges related to the development of the Kumtor gold-mine project in the capital Bishkek. (RFE)
- Thailand: A protest leader renewed calls for the reformation of the country’s monarchy and added that time was running out for the powerful institution. (WaPo)
- United Kingdom: The country recorded another 138 COVID-19 deaths, the highest daily total since March 17. (Xinhua)
- France: Health officials activated an emergency plan on Corsica and coastal areas reintroduced compulsory wearing of masks as a fourth wave of Covid infections spread across the country. (AFP)
- Belarus: Dissident Vitaly Shishov was found hung in a park near his home in Ukraine, with police conducting a murder probe and supporters accusing the regime of Alexander Lukashenko of killing him. (AFP)
- Bulgaria: Prime minister-designate Plamen Nikolov of the There Is Such a People (ITN) party said he was optimistic he can lead a minority government although it is unclear if he can rally support behind it. (Reuters)
- Turkey: The country released an arrest warrant for fifty-one people over alleged links to a network accused of orchestrating a coup attempt in 2016. (Xinhua)
- Region: United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres says in a new report that the threat to international peace and security from the Islamic State extremist group is rising. (AP)
- Saudi Arabia: The kingdom’s foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan al Saud said he sees an emboldened Iran acting in a negative manner across the Middle East. (Reuters)
- Saudi Arabia: The kingdom announced the execution of a man who was found guilty of armed rebellion and protesting against the state in the Shiite-populated eastern region of Qatif. (WaPo)
- Israel: A military court convicted a Palestinian man with US citizenship for the murder of a Jewish student in the occupied West Bank. (AFP)
Tech & Communications
- Media: A new report issued by the New York Attorney General’s office detailed the role CNN anchor Chris Cuomo played in advising his brother, Governor Andrew Cuomo. (AP)
- Cyclones: Nothing to report.
- Hurricanes: Nothing to report.
- Earthquakes: Nothing to report.
- Volcanoes: Nothing to report.
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease: Global (as of 04AUG21)
- Confirmed cases: 199,673,017
- Deaths: 4,249,118
- Countries with confirmed cases: 192
- Sourcing: John Hopkins University
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease: Global (as of 04AUG21)
Tomorrow’s Outlook (05AUG21)
- Iran: Inauguration of president-elect Ebrahim Raisi.
- China: Virtual international forum on vaccine cooperation and distribution.
- Malaysia: Senate convenes for three-day session.
- Tajikistan: Joint Russian-Uzbek-Tajik military exercise.
- Russia: Joint military exercise with India in Volgograd. (to 12AUG)
- Burkina Faso: Independence Day.
- Croatia: Victory Day.